Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Halloween Flashback 2007

About August we start talking about Halloween costumes... the kids love it, and I do to. Some of my favorite memories as a child were the costumes my mom would make us. That probably makes it an even sweeter experience for me when I make them, thinking that my kids may have those memories too. So, in honor of Halloween, I'm going to do a series of flashbacks, leading up to what we have in store this year :)

Tally as a sucker-covered Halloween ballerina :) Savers special!

Girls are easy... princesses, mermaids, you know :) I totally scored at Savers and found all of the girls' costumes for $3 a piece. Alaura's was huge, so that took some altering, but much better than making it all.


It seems every year there's at least one costume that becomes a month-long endeavor... this year it was Ben's Transformer costume. Unfortunately we saw a YouTube where these guys, much to old to be doing this, had made Transformable costumes for the movie opener, and we showed it to Ben and that was that. I cut and glued the boxes together and the bigger Ben did the paint detailing. Who better than a guy to make sure the camo was just right.


Then if the costumes weren't enough, we had a blast with the decorations. We took their costumes from previous years and stuffed them with balloons, dolls and bubble wrap to have full-time "trick-or-treat"ers in our entry. I think this will be a yearly repeat!


Thank FamilyFun.com for this one! They used old tissue boxes painted with black paint... we used our Costco diaper box covered with a black trash bag! The kids helped with the shutters. I think this was one of my all-time favorites!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..! All the kids are looking so cute and happy in their Halloween costumes.

Cyndi said...

Amazing!!!! I didn't think it was possible to make a cooler costume than that robot that little Ben was a few years back but of course, crafty you has once again wow'd our entire family with the Transformer one! That's so awesome!! My Ben totally thinks you should start selling them and Nick wants to be the first customer!!